Kentucky Weight Distance Tax

The Kentucky Weight Distance Tax, or KYU, is a tax license that the State of Kentucky requires certain motor carriers to purchase. All carriers, inter-or intrastate, that travel on Kentucky roadways and whose vehicles weigh 60,000 lbs. or more (up to 80,000 lbs., beyond which point you would need an overweight permit) need to get this license or a temporary permit. The KYU permit is a fixed mileage tax that does not change based on the weight of your vehicle. Kentucky offers permanent registrations for those who will make multiple trips to and through the state, as well as temporary 10-day permits.

The Kentucky Intrastate Tax, or KIT, is a fuel consumption tax. This tax requires any Kentucky-based vehicle with a gross vehicle weight exceeding 26,000 pounds (or 10,000 pounds if the vehicle has more than two axles) to pay a tax on fuel usage within the state of Kentucky. The tax rate is higher for special fuels, such as diesel, than it is for regular gasoline. KIT is effectively the Kentucky-only version of IFTA, meaning if you are registered for IFTA, you do not need a KIT number or to file KIT returns.

Get your registration done in 2 simple steps

All carriers with a combined license weight that is greater than 59,999 lbs. but less than 80,001 lbs. must pay this quarterly weight-distance tax, regardless of their base state.

Kentucky-based owners of vehicles weighing more than 26,000 lbs. (more than 10,000 lbs. if more than two axles) are required to pay a tax on the fuel they use in Kentucky.

In addition to the perpetual licenses, you can purchase temporary permits for any brief trips into Kentucky. These temporary permits cover all of your driving for 10 days.

Get your registration done in 2 simple steps

A Team of Industry Experts to Help You with Every Step

Here at, we’re more than just a website. We have live representatives ready to assist you with every step of the registration process. Our team has over 16 years of experience helping drivers and fleet owners like you submit your Unified Carrier Registration. We can help you find your category, update your information, and keep your registration organized.

The trucking industry is notorious for having long hours, and busy schedules. We understand the time you spend out of your truck is precious to you. Don’t waste it filling out forms. Let us help you so you can spend more time doing what you love.


Registration for the KYU Plan depends on the number of trucks in your fleet. These fees help fund highway safety programs and initiatives. Any money made from these funds is directly distributed to the participating states. This is to help enforce laws, maintain roads, and generally make driving in these states as safe as possible.

The fees for the KYU are due every year. These fees are subject to change at any time, but luckily, if you pay and the price goes up the next month, you are not responsible for paying the difference. Drivers may not even notice the rate change until the following year when they pay their next annual KYU payment. Registration begins in the fall, but payment is not due until December 31st, the end of the year.

  • 1-2 Trucks $97
  • 3-4 Trucks $197
  • 5-6 Trucks $297
  • 7-8 Trucks $397
  • 9-10 Trucks $497
  • etc.
  • 1001+ Trucks Contact Us directly!

MCS-150 Determines the number of vehicles in your fleet. Not including Trailers. This number dictates the fees that are due each year for your KYU. For this reason, it’s important to stay up to date so there are no missing fees or overpayments. If your information isn’t right in the government systems, let us update it for you.